Information and Communication Technologies (ICT3) /
Informacijske in komunikacijske tehnologije (IKT3)
Decision Support /
Podpora pri odločanju
Scheduled Lectures in 2016/17
- 11.1.2017, 16:00-18:00, DS Course and Seminar I, IPS Lecture Room:
Marko Bohanec: Decision Support: An Overview
- 11.1.2017, 18:00-19:00, DS Course, IPS Lecture Room:
- 8.3.2017, 15:00-17:00, DS Course, IPS Lecture Room:
Will take place throughout 2016/17. Please arrange the consultation individually through e-mail to
Marko Bohanec or
Examinations and Practical Assignment Presentations
- 12.4.2017, IPS Lecture Room: 15:15-16:00 written exam; 16:15-18:00 individual presentations
- 14.6.2017, IPS Lecture Room: 15:15-16:00 written exam; 16:15-18:00 individual presentations
- 13.9.2017, IPS Lecture Room: 15:15-16:00 written exam; 16:15-18:00 individual presentations
Course Slides in English
- Decision Support: Study Requirements and Procedure
- Decision Support: An Overview
- Decision Analysis: Decision tables, decision-making under uncertainty, decision trees, influence diagrams
- Decision Analysis: Multi-attribute models; Kepner-Tregoe, AHP, DEXi
- Advanced Topics: Classification of methods, aggregation and value functions, data mining and decision support, HINT
A Computer-Science and Information-Technology Viewpoint.
Description of Complex Systems 7(2), 22-37, 2009.
Bohanec, M., Rajkovič, V., Bratko, I., Zupan, B., Žnidaršič, M.:
DEX methodology: Three decades of qualitative multi-attribute modelling.
Informatica 37, 49-54, 2013.
Program for Multi-Attribute Decision Making, User's Manual, Version 5.00.
IJS Report DP-11897, Jožef Stefan Institute, Ljubljana, 2015.
Decision trees: a book chapter on decision trees
Multi-Attribute Decision Models:
a book chapter on MCDA software
Method AHP (Analytical Hierarchy Process) and supporting software:
Students are requested to find the corresponding teaching materials on their own
paper describing a specific application (evaluating researchers)
- Greco, S., Ehrgott, M., Figueira, J.: Multiple Criteria Decision Analysis: State of the Art Surveys. Springer, 2016.
- Ishizaka, A., Nemery, P.: Multi-criteria Decision Analysis: Methods and Software. Wiley, 2013.
- Bouyssou, D., Marchant, T., Pirlot, M., Tsoukias, A., Vincke, P.:
Evaluation and Decision Models with Multiple Criteria: Stepping Stones
for the Analyst. International Series in Operations Research and
Management Science, Volume 86. Boston: Springer, 2006.
- Web page: IJS Decision Support Resources
- Web page: Wikipedia: Decision making
Requirements and procedure
- Practical assignment:
- Each student is required to make their Practical Assignment and write a report.
- The report, together with all developed decision models, must be sent by e-mail to
no later than the last Friday, 12:00 a.m., before the
Sending reports for earlier previews is encouraged.
- A final printed version of the report must be handed to Marko Bohanec
at the presentation/examination event.
- Examinations consist of two parts:
- A 45-minute Written Exam
- A 10-15 minute oral presentation and defense of each student's practical assignment (supported by slides)
- For passing the examinations, both parts have to be evaluated positively.
Each part contributes 50 % to the final evaluation.
Written exam takes 45 minutes. Questions address topics from the required literature,
from both a theoretical and practical viewpoint. See DS_Exam_Example.pdf
For theoretical questions, see DS_Questions.pdf.
For practical questions, you can expect typical model-development exercises from the literature.
There are three principal types of practical assignments; each student may freely choose one:
- Research: Take a research topic proposed by the professor; see the topics in
- Project: Any other topic, related to decision making and decision support, practical and/or theoretical, suggested by the student. Preferably, the results should contribute to some active research or development project.
The topic of each practical assignment should be pre-arranged in agreement with the professor.
Comments and suggestions to:
Last update: 11.1.2017